Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday Satisfaction

After a rather uneventful Friday night of providing a teething, congested Maya with major tlc, an unexpected morning of foodie heaven was just what I needed. It began with brunch at Sugarbowl -- which floored me as every weekend for 2 years, I have seen nothing but some version of the daily omelet on the feature board (always satisfying, but never memorable); today's special was bacon, onion, and goat cheese-stuffed portobello mushroom cradling paprika-dusted poached eggs . It was exquisite; brunch how it should be -- something carrying a little more drama and a lot more taste than what I could throw together at home in five minutes.

Superbly satiated, I followed the perfect Sugarbowl experience by another of my weekend routines, walking the farmer's market. Today, however, I was sidetracked by a bright pink beacon -- the outline of a giant cupcake -- beckoning me with promises of "the best" in Edmonton. Flirt cupcakes did not disappoint. I quickly decided on a dark chocolate-cookies 'n cream confection, with an oreo baked inside and cream cheese frosting. Needless to say, this was a solid choice. No need to peruse the market, as I was completely content.

Tonight, I have plans to wine and dine (and hopefully cocktail) with friends in high places (apartment overlooking the river that makes for unparalleled entertaining), where I have yet to be disappointed. Cheers to a Saturday of which I hope to have many more.


No comments:

Post a Comment