Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Damn It! I'm Not Right All the Time?

Even the most set in their ways can be undone. Today I learned an important lesson -- one I had been encouraged to consider previously, but have been guilty of failing to adopt as yet. Today, I lived the truth of some people being worth a closer look. I discovered a much deeper, kinder, generous impression of -- get this -- the intolerably distracted woman with the sweater in class. Today, for some reason unknown to me, she still came in with her cover-up, but practiced right under the podium, under my nose, looking up at me with a smile throughout class. Very strange, I thought. Maybe she simply felt wary of me up until today; I am, after all, a visiting teacher who hasn't set foot on the podium of this particular studio in over two years. As a matter of fact, almost all of the previously quiet, to the point of what I thought were disinterested, students have seemed to warm to me. They are even thanking me now after class and acknowledging me by name. The biggest surprise, however, for sure is "sweater woman."

One of my regulars this morning threw her back out, later explaining to me she had injured it a few days prior to her practice today, gotten overzealous, and pushed just a little too hard -- it's always a fine line. When in doubt, take it easy, honey. After coaxing her through how to lie appropriately in order to put the least pressure on her back, I helped hoist her up off her mat and supported her feeble limp out of the hot room.

As we finally make it to the door, who's behind us, carrying the injured party's mat, towel and water bottle? The one I had so swiftly dismissed as inconsiderate and flippant -- "sweater woman."

While this enlightening experience does not mean I'm going to ignore blatant laziness and hypocrisy from other instructors, it has encouraged me to give a person more then a moment to make an impression on me. I suppose I would appreciate the same, so why not? In the end, acceptance is just as important as striving for excellence.

No comments:

Post a Comment