Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cover-up is a Girl's Best Friend

Life is short, so eat your chocolate, do your yoga and let the benefits abound.

Because humankind can not live on chocolate alone for complete nutrition, I have devised an infallible system by which to consume veggies at every meal (expect for breakfast, which is of course a time for mochas and pastries); The only way for me to eat my greens is to cover them in something divine; camouflage their banality, kind of like making oneself palatable in public by wearing makeup.

I dress my spinach, kale, bok choy, broccoli, celery and asparagus in salty, crunchy peanut butter. Believe it or not, peanut butter goes with everything. It's an incredible super-food; nutritious, delicious, easily spreadable and the perfect complement to my daily chocolate fix. Even when Maya is sick enough to completely lose interest in eating, I can give her a spoonful of peanut butter and she'll lick it clean.

If you're allergic to peanuts, try tahini, coconut, or honey. I come from a family whose idea of home-cooking is bringing home MacDonald's or sticking a TV dinner in the microwave, so these tricks enable me to eat healthy and actually enjoy it, because otherwise what's the point? And hey, I'm turning 30 next year, I'm in the best shape of my life and I haven't gotten scurvy yet, so I must be on the right track.

Even when I overdo it on the chocolate and fail to keep my intake of foliage a top priority, I can always step in the hot box and sweat it out. The lean muscle building powers and increased blood circulation from practicing regularly also leave room for a few glasses of wine or margaritas -- or the wedding parties I've got coming up that may require a little extra detox. Pleasure is always worth a little pain.


No comments:

Post a Comment