Monday, May 30, 2011

Trust a Sweet Tooth to Satisfy Your Needs

Who knew I would become such a domestic goddess (minus acquiescing to constant requests that I learn to make and enjoy my own coffee -- not going to happen -- maybe when I live in a sprawling bungalow overlooking the ocean somewhere the temperature never drops below 25 and I have bittersweet, Belgian chocolate and a fancy schmancy espresso machine with which to whip up my morning mocha -- maybe then)? Amidst tending to my feverish Maya's less-than stellar weekend of sickness, I made it to the weekly downtown farmer's market and gathered a stroller full of organic goodies so I could try and turn my little monster back into a sweet princess with a little home-baking. Few things make home more enticing than sugar and spices wafting through the air (a housekeeper, a nanny and a replica of the closet Big had made for Carrie would be up there, but I'm not delusional, just optimistic).

I made a chocolate-pumpkin-walnut cake with the aesthetic appeal of a magazine dessert that tasted like heaven; anything that starts with the word "chocolate" is usually a safe bet. Maya spread some in her hair and kept trying to lick crumbs off her fingers even after I washed her hands, so I know my culinary efforts met with her approval. I took some with me to Starbucks to accompany my morning mocha and the guy next to me (yes, I noticed you watching me) was visibly jealous.

Over years of carefully acquired knowledge (none of which came from my own less-than- domestic parents), I've come to trust only in the kitchen capabilities of people who love to eat. Just as the strongest teachers are the ones who really love the yoga and take class often, one is generally not able to concoct something palate-pleasing unless she appreciates a broad spectrum of flavours and spices and how they can complement each other. No offense to generations past, but lard need not ever be in a baker's arsenal; there are a number of other, more physique-friendly, oils and fats with which to make divine delights.

So, a very enthusiastic thumbs-up for my latest domestic effort; I can add this success to my vegan chocolate peanut butter cups and far-from-vegan dark devil brownies -- all of which are perfect indulgences to work off in the hot room. Stuff yourself too full of goodies and just work a little harder in forward-bending compression postures. "Pain kills the pain; poison kills the poison." However true our guru's words are, now having been coerced into finding my latent domesticity, I still haven't put to rest that part of me that would really rather let that sentiment live only in the sweat box and hire someone else to be domestic for me....maybe one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment