Friday, May 20, 2011

Judging Those Who Refuse to Judge Themselves

Sometimes I simply cannot help it; I look at bodies for a living -- correct, adjust and push them. Really, I'm one judgmental bitch; but only in a good way. People pay me to judge them and the ones who, on occasion, choose to avoid my critical eye - -they hide in the back. I don't care either way; I only want to take care of whatever ails you. Maybe you want to lose weight, gain weight, lose yourself for a couple of hours, gain focus, build strength, determination and patience; maybe you just want to hang out with people who are of the same mind -- people who are willing to help themselves become the best version of who they are. Whatever you want to work on, if you come to me or any of our sweaty family, you already know pain kills the pain and poison kills the poison, so we'll take care of you...no problem.

Anyone who has partaken in any kind of practice, art, or conditioning of any kind that involves looking in the mirror understands it is of the utmost importance, but only if you can truly see yourself. Bikram loves to alight the mind when he reminds us, "The darkest place can be under the light."

As I sat enjoying my mocha this morning, choosing to accompany it with oatmeal (because life is all about balance), the woman who squeezed in next to me struck me as someone who could really use a little judgement. I thought, "What does she see when she looks in the mirror every day?" I hope it's something along the lines of, "I've got lovely curves but am dangerously at risk of developing heart disease, dropping dead, or squishing my next sexual partner unless I drop a few of the spare tires I'm carrying around my middle." Judging based solely on her "large, whole milk hot chocolate and a chocolate croissant" order, I'm assuming her mind-body connection is a little in need of an adjustment. The visual of watching this woman down the indulgent pairing of fat on fat, without a hint of hesitation, actually made me physically ill. I thought, you my dear, are slowly killing yourself. I wish I could tell you, but as you have not solicited my abrupt, but honest advice, for now I'll have to share my frustrations in a different forum.

How did the weakness of the mind become such a neglected health concern that people are battling addictions to food or starving themselves, getting their stomachs stapled because they can't overcome the greediness governing what they put in their mouths? It's a little sick, isn't it?

Awareness is everything. We're having a nutritionist give a talk in a few days to anyone interested. To those we feel might benefit hearing her advice more than others, we offer gentle encouragement to make an appearance.

Everyone requires a little judgement from time to time, internally or from an outside source. Maybe at coffee this morning, I should have leaned over and gently mentioned to the morbidly obese woman stuffing her face with baked butter, "Have you ever tried this lovely organic oatmeal I buy? It complements heavier drinks like hot chocolate really well without making me feel too full." And maybe this suggestion would have been met with a swift slap across the face or a delightful obscenity hurled my way, but maybe I would have, if not changed her life, given her something upon which to reflect the next time she looks in the mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment