Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Focus...of Sorts

Sending out an SOS for halva cups! Last night's down-time tragically culminated in devouring the last of my favourite Vancouver dessert. Not only was it my last halva-filled, cashew-topped cup of divine dark chocolate from my go-to bakery, but Maya made me share it with her; and because every mother knows, what's mine is always theirs, I knew trying to deny her would be futile.

So this morning, as I stood in line at Starbucks, ready to order my mocha, I was a little disheartened this would be my only decent chocolate consumption all day. At least I'd have the endorphine rush from Bikram to compensate. I needed whatever I could get; I was in full-on MOH planning mode.

During "Adonis" Dave's class today (most of the male Bikram Instructors in particular are chiseled perfection -- excellent visual focal points when holding difficult balancing postures), as my brain buzzed with ideas for the two bachelorette parties I am currently orchestrating and visions of penis cakes and pole-dancing classes cluttered my head, Dave reminded us to "Always practice with breath, focus and strength;" this advice applied perfectly to my VIP status in the weddings of two of the most important ladies in my life.

As I lay there in savasana, momentarily giving up on quieting my mind, I thought, "I've known these girls more than half my life, so the parties I throw for them had better reflect such epic friendships. If I can't be in this moment, during dead body pose, in total mind-body stillness, at least I can plan killer events with breath, focus and strength; and maybe that means putting together something that is more of what they like and who they are than what I would put together for myself -- so perhaps a pole-dancing class is best attended another time. Doesn't mean we all won't enjoy as many shots of Patron as we can tolerate while strutting around town in our most sensible, six-inch stilettos.

No comments:

Post a Comment